Picture showing effects of thumb sucking
A stitch in time saves nine. Similarly, Start Early!! Take your kids to dentist before they actually complain of pain have or start any dental problem. It is important to train and teach children to keep their teeth clean and importance of maintaining oral hygiene. Most children do not like brushing their teeth, but parents have to inculcate these habits strongly from childhood to prevent decays and cavities. Mark time during the summer and Deepavali holidays to make a visit to Choice Dental Clinic Pvt. Ltd.
Bad habbits in children are:
- Thumb sucking
- Lip Biting
- Nail biting
- Tongue thrusting
If these habits are not controlled in time, they lead to
- Inflamed gums
- Malocclusion of teeth and dryness of mouth and change in the jaws – they become more U shaped and cause further crowding of teeth and a change in the shape of the jaws.
Treatments normally done for kids :
- Fixed or removable habit breaking appliances. Correcting these habits at an early age or as soon as it is noticed helps prevent oro- facial changes in the child.
- Pit & Fissure caries: It is the most common dental problem found in children. Chewing teeth have grooves on the surface where sticky food tends to collect and stay for a long time as it does not get cleaned on its own. Thus, these areas become places for oral bacteria causing decay. If brushing is not done properly, bristles of a brush do not reach to clean that area and then these areas start decay in the pits and fissures gradually leading to a full surface of caries. To prevent this “Pit & Fissure sealants” are applied on the surface of the tooth to protect it from decay. Ideal age to put a sealant is during the formative years of the tooth i.e. between 4 to 6 years of age.
- Serial extractions of milk teeth to prevent crowding of permanent teeth.
- Fluoride gel application on tooth surface of teeth.
- Orthodontia if required.
- Root Canal Treatment of milk teeth.
We have a qualified Pedodontist to take care of pediatric dental problems.